Applicants should appear at the U.S. Embassy for their appointments no earlier than 30 minutes prior to, or 30 minutes after the appointment time. For example, if your appointment is at 7:00am, you should not arrive before 6:30am or after 7:30am.
How long do appointments take?
Wait times for an interview can vary. We suggest that applicants bring reading material to occupy themselves while they wait for their interview. What happens if my visa application is approved?
If your application is approved, the visa is processed and your passport in returned via courier a week after the interview. Occasionally, however, we will be unable to do so due to circumstances and technical issues beyond our control.
What documents do I need to bring?
- A signed Passport valid for six months beyond the intended date of return from the United States. If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must make a separate application. Please note we do not accept mutilated passports.
- Mandatory Completed Form DS-160 for each applicant, all questions answered. The Embassy does not accept hand written application forms.
- A passport sized photograph (2” x 2”): When you submit your visa application online, you are required to upload a photograph. For more information on photo guidelines visit the Department of State Travel site.
- Confirmation of payment of non-refundable application fee at Postbank or through Mpesa for each applicant. If payment is throught Postbank please bring along the deposit slip. If payment is through Mpesa, you will need to provide the 9 (Nine) digit provided via sms confirming the transaction.
- It is suggested you bring documents that demonstrate your ties to your country of residence. However, submission of supporting documents does not guarantee that you will be issued a visa.
- Please present your sponsor’s original bank statement from a commercial bank recognized by the Central Bank of Kenya. Please note: SACCO’s do not meet this requirement. Mini-statements and certified photocopies will not be accepted. The bank statement must be from an individual’s account. Business bank statements will not be accepted even if the sponsor is the sole proprietor.
What additional documents do I need as a Student/Exchange Program Visa Applicant?