How to Do KRA PIN Registration for Limited Company in Kenya
KRA PIN Registration for Limited Company is an essential tax obligation which has to be met by every business intending to operate in Kenya.
Why You Need KRA PIN for Limited Company?
To apply for a KRA PIN if you have a Limited Company in Kenya, you need the following:
- To open company bank accounts
- To make KRA Monthly Returns
- To apply for Tax Compliance Certificate
- To apply for Government tenders
- To setup ETR Machine
- To purchase land or property
Here are steps that need to be taken to acquire Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) PIN for Limited Company in Kenya.
Step 1: Perform Data Loading for Company
If you have registered your limited company at the Company Registry, you will need to first carry out Data Loading at KRA offices using the following documents;
1. Original Certificate of Incorporation
2. Original Memorandum and Article of Association
3. Photocopy of Certificate of Incorporation
What this means is that, you will need to present the above documents to allow KRA to manually input your company records to their tax system.
It usually doesn’t take long, unless there is technical problems or if a verification needs to be carried our directly with Company Registry to check the authenticity of your company.
How do I apply PIN for a Limited company
- Log onto www.kra.go.ke/portal, open tax payer registration link and on the right hand side Under Online Services,
- Click on Taxpayer Registration.
- Choose either New Taxpayer (if you don’t have a PIN) or existing taxpayer(if you already have a PIN)
- Fill in all mandatory fields with asterix (*) then confirm correctness and submit.
- KRA will respond through your e-mail address providing you with a PIN number, Password
- and Security Stamp.
- Go to Taxpayer Registration fill in the PIN, password and security stamp then login.
- Change your password (please remember this for security reasons) to a password of your
- own choice (six characters with 2 numbers) as instructed.
- Choose Main Menu, Enquiry then Print your Taxpayer Registration Certificate.
You may refer to the “Step by step guide” which is on the KRA portal
Step 2: Registration of KRA PIN using iTax
You will need to visit https://itax.kra.go.ke, to initiate the process of registering KRA PIN for limited company. At least 2 KRA PIN from company directors will be required to perform this process. Both directors need to make sure they don’t have any tax liability and also their details needs to be on the iTax system.
If not, then migration will need to be done. If directors don’t have KRA PIN, then they will need to register one first individually.
Step 3: Acknowledgment letter
Once you have completed the registration online, you will be issued with Acknowledgement letter from KRA to your email address that you used for the application. Make sure to check both your inbox or spam folder.
Once you have confirmed receiving the acknowledgment letter, you will need to visit the nearest KRA offices so that the final process is done in order for the actual KRA PIN for your Limited Company to be issued to your email;
- Acknowledgement PIN
- Director(s) ID
- Director(s) KRA PIN Certificate
- Original Certificate of Incorporation
If you are a foreigner and don’t have KRA PIN, you will need to apply for one but you will need to have the following documents;
- Introduction letter from the company lawyer
- Work permit – to assist you to acquire Alien ID Card
- Letter from Keninvest
- Passport Photocopy
After verification of the above documents by KRA, you will be issued with KRA PIN for your company in your email within some few hours/days depending on iTax system workload.
KRA PIN Checker
You can use KRA PIN Checker to see whether or not your PIN is genuine. According to KRA, a genuine PIN is generated by the KRA – Domestic Taxes Department System and is in Active status. KRA will provide basic details of the taxpayer when using the PIN Checker.