The Cabinet of Kenya is made up of the President, Deputy President, Attorney General and Cabinet Secretaries. The 2010 Constitution of Kenya allows a maximum of 22 ministries. A Cabinet Secretary is not a Member of the Kenyan Parliament and has to be vetted by a parliamentary committee before their appointment.
Uhuru nominates Shebesh, Munya, Ababu, and Nelson Marwa to 2018 Cabinet
Election losers and women won big after President Uhuru Kenyatta appointed them to the Cabinet in changes announced on Friday.
The president also created a new position known as Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS).
“Chief Administrative Secretary will broadly be responsible for helping CS to coordinate running of affairs in respective ministries,” Uhuru said.
Amina Mohamed was appointed Education CS replacing Fred Matiang’i who has been appointed as the Interior Cabinet Secretary.
Matiangi will be assisted by Chief Administrative Secretary Patrick Ntutu (ex-Narok Senator) while Karanja Kbicho was named principal secretary.
Rachel Omamo has been retained at the Defence ministry; Cecil Kariuki has been moved to the Health portfolio.
Amb Monica Juma was nominated to the Foreign Affairs docket replacing Amina.
Ababu Namwamba will be Juma’s Chief Administrative Secretary and Macharia Kamau the Principal Secretary.
Rachel Shebesh will join Cabinet, if the name is approved by Parliament, as Youth CAS. PSC chair Magaret Kobia was nominated to the Youth and Gender docket.
The Youth and Gender PS will be Lilian Omolo.
John Munyes has been nominated the Petroleum and Mining CS, the PS will be Andrew Kamau while Chief Administrative Secretary will be announced later.
The Ministry of Devolution will be headed by Eugene Wamalwa, CAS will be Hussein Dado, while Nelson Marwa will be the principal secretary.
Mwangi Kiunjuri has been nominated to the Agriculture docket.
Former DPP Keriako Tobiko was nominated to the Environment docket with Charles Sunkuli as PS. Chief Administrative Secretary to be announced later.
Adan Mohammed has been retained as Industrialisation CS where Betty Maina of the Kenya Association of Manufacturers was nominated as PS.
The Ministry of Transport CS will be manned by James Macharia, CAS Chris Obure, and the PS Paul Maringa.
The names of the appointees will be forwarded to parliament for vetting and approval.
Jubilee Secretary general Raphael Tuju was named Cabinet Secretary without portfolio.
Full List of Cabinet Secretaries in Kenya 2018
- Margaret Kobia – CS Youth and Public Service.
- John Munyes – CS Petroleum and Mining.
- Eugene Wamalwa – CS Devolution.
- Racheal Omamo – CS Defense.
- Monica Juma -CS Foreign affairs.
- Simon Chergui – CS Water.
- Keriako Tobiko – CS environment
- Adan Mohammed – CS Industrialization
- James Macharia – CS transport
- Joseph Mucheru – CS ICT
- Henry Rotich – CS Treasury
- Fred Matiangi – CS Interior
- Mwangi Kiunjuri – CS Agriculture
- Sicily Kariuki – CS Health
- Rashid Achesa – CS Sports
- Najib Balala – CS Tourism
- Amina Mohammed – CS Education
- Farida Karoney – CS Lands
- Ukur Yattany – CS Labour
- Peter Munya – CS EAC
- Raphel Tuju – CS (without protfolio)
- Charles Keter – Energy
List of New Cabinet Secretaries named by President Uhuru Kenyatta, 2017 -2018
President Uhuru Kenyatta has named a list of new cabinet secretaries that will serve in his last regime. The cabinet secretaries listed below were appointed/named on5th January 2018 in his state of the nation address. They will serve in the respective government ministries.
List of New Cabinet Secretaries named by President Uhuru Kenyatta, 2018
- Henry Rotich – Treasury,
- Najib Balala – Tourism
- James Macharia – Transport & Infrastructure
- Fred Matiang’i – Interior and Acting Education
- Joe Mucheru – ICT
- Charle Keter – Energy
Its is not clear whether other CS like Eugen Wamalwa will be sucked, we will have to wait for the next appointment address.
More information about president Uhuru Kenyatta speech today
- President Kenyatta appoints John Munyes, Okur Yatani and Keriako Tobiko to the Cabinet subject to vetting and approval by Parliament
- Director of Criminal Investigations Ndegwa Muhoro, Deputy Inspector General of police, Joel Mboya Kitili and Deputy Inspector General Administration Police Service forwarded to Public Service Commission for redeployment
- State House Comptroller Lawrence Lenayapa nominated as Kenya’s Ambassador to the Netherlands
- George Kinoti (DCI)
- Edward Njoroge MBugua (Deputy IG Kenya Police)
- Gabow Noor (Deputy IG AP) in acting capacity until processed by Public Service Commission
List of Cabinet Secretaries in Kenya 2017-2018
- Industrialization : Adan Mohammed
- Foreign Affairs : Amb. Amina Mohamed
- Defence : Amb. Raychelle Omamo
- Energy & Petroleum : Charles Keter
- Mining : Dan Kazungu
- Health : Dr. Cleopa Kilonzo Mailu
- Interior, Ag Education : Dr. Fred Matiang’i
- Education : Dr. Fred Matiang’i
- Sports, Arts and Culture : Dr. Hassan Wario
- Water & Irrigation : Eugene Wamalwa
- Finance – National Treasury : Henry K. Rotich
- Transport & Infrastructure : James Macharia
- ICT : Joe Mucheru
- Devolution & Planning : Mwangi Kiunjuri
- Tourism : Najib Balala
- Labour & EAC Affairs : Phyllis J. K. Kandie
- Lands : Prof. Jacob T. Kaimenyi
- Environment : Prof. Judy Wakhungu
- Public Service, Youth & Gender Affairs : Sicily Kanini Kariuki
Kenya Government Ministries Directory
- Lst of cabinet secretaries in Kenya 2018
- Cabinet secretaries Kenya new constitution
- Kenya cabinet secretaries photos
- Acting cabinet secretaries in Kenya
- Cabinet secretaries in Kenya government
- Ministries in Kenya 2018
- Kenya government ministries directory