GREAT LAKES VOLUNTARY INTERNSHIP (1502)
Days per week: Minimum of 3 days per week
We are looking for a voluntary intern to work with the Great Lakes team for 6 months, for ideally three days a week.
Although the voluntary intern’s role will be supervised, willingness to undertake some routine administrative tasks is crucial. Projects will be devised by the team in collaboration with the voluntary intern, which will aim to assist the team in fulfilling its strategic objectives, while making the best use of the voluntary intern’s own skills, interests and experience.
Undertaking a voluntary internship at Amnesty International, one of the world’s leading human rights organizations, can provide valuable experience and you will receive work references at the completion of your assignment. However, please note that a voluntary internship does not lead directly to employment with Amnesty International.
The successful voluntary intern’s task list may include:
- Human rights monitoring: Monitor newspapers, online and social media, and reports from partners on a daily basis.
- Database management: Maintaining and updating logs on human rights violations and abuses as well as individuals at risk.
- Filing: Assist with electronic filing and filing of hardcopy materials.
- Administrative support: Assist with tasks such as mailing, event organization, and organizing contact databases.
- Basic translation: Assist with translation of communications and inquiries from the general public in French or other languages.
We would look for the successful voluntary intern to have the following skills and experience:
- Interest in and knowledge of the social, political and human rights context of the Great Lakes region – Rwanda and Burundi.
- Background through study, work or other experience in a relevant area, such as human rights, law, international relations, political science or social sciences.
- Commitment to Amnesty International’s mandate.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment and to multi-task.
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Fluent written and spoken English and French.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience of working as part of a team.
NB: Only applicants who have eligibility, i.e. Kenyan citizens or foreign students with a right to study and work in Kenya, will be considered for the above post.
Kindly apply online on www.careers.amnesty.org.
Please note that any salary figure given is the gross figure, earnings will be subject to relevant local taxation.