GSU RECCE COMPANY KENYA
The GSU Recce Company has three key units. The first one is the Sky Marshal unit an undercover counter terrorist unit on board commercial flights to counter aircraft hijackings, the second one is the Crisis Response Team which is always on stand-by to swing into action when things threaten to get out of hand and the third unit is the Rendition Operation team mostly trained in Israel and America.
- Bullet Proof Vest a protective covering worn around the torso to protect the wearer from bullets and shrapnel from explosions.
- Magazine Pouches attached to the bullet proof vests used for carrying additional magazines. Small pouches are for carrying pistol magazines while the bigger ones are for rifle magazines.
- M16 Rifle a 5.56 mm calibre ammunition rifle which can be both semi and full automatic commonly used in modern warfare.
- Thigh Pistol Holster used to carry an additional pistol. When an officer is wearing a bullet proof vest, it is impossible to employ hip holsters and so a holster is tied on the thigh.
- Sunglasses worn to prevent the public from knowing where an officer is looking. An officer’s head could be facing forward thus creating the impression that he is looking in front but could be he is actually looking to his right or left. If members of the public cannot see an officers eyes, they may not be able to tell where his attention is directed or what he thinking which gives the office tactical advantage of hiding their intentions.
- Portable Police Radios fixed on the shoulder or chest which have earphones attached so that officers do not necessarily have to hold them in their hands while communicating.
- Bayonet a knife, sword or spike shaped weapon used as a spear to stab the enemy in close-quarter combat where an officer does not have to shoot. It is designed to fit in, on, over or underneath the muzzle of a rifle.
- Knee and Elbow Pads for offering protection and comfort to the knee and elbow respectively especially during combat situations.
To be recruited into the General Service Unit (GSU) Recce Company, young Kenyan citizens who are fit and healthy must attend a joint nationwide Kenya National Police service recruitment exercise after its announcement by the Government. Those selected to enlist are then sent to the GSU training school in Embakasi for basic training. After the GSU basic training, those who emerge as the best in academic and field performance undergo a further seven month specialized training in VIP protection, handling and detonating explosives, security of vital installations, anti-terrorism, sky marshal (the counter terrorism unit on board commercial flights) and rescue operations. After all these training, the GSU officers pass out and are then deployed to any of the three key units of the Recce Company depending on their area of specialization. Click Here for more GSU info.